Saturday, March 29, 2008

Ten Years Ago


On April 3rd, Gabriel will be ten years old. The picture to the left is his first time meeting his new cousin, Lexie. Don't mind the date on the picture. It is wrong.
He shares his birthday with my mother, Geraldene. My pregnancy with Gabriel was perfect. Luckily I had very little sickness and attended my college classes right up until the day he was born and returned to classes the week after he was born with him in tow. The doctor induced my labor on Friday and I was sitting in class at Lipscomb on Thursday. I even attended an honor society induction that evening and was lucky enough to have my parents, sister, and Michael there to support me. When my professor introduced me, he said, "This young lady will be doing something tomorrow I bet no one else is...becoming a mommy." He was my all-time favorite professor.

Well, my dad didn't want us to travel so early on the roads Friday morning so he decided we should stay in Franklin. Just one small problem...Mule Day Weekend. The only room he could get was a suite with a jacuzzi. :-) He was very generous and ready to see his new grandson.

My labor was induced at 6am and by 11am, I had an epidural and was feeling pretty darn good. (I did suffer for about an hour but realize that is nothing compared to some labor stories.) During the midst of the induction, Williamson County was under a tornado warning. You can even see the bad weather in the pictures. At 4:12pm, Gabriel Franklin Head was born weighing just under 7lbs. After he arrived, we looked out the window and saw the most beautiful double rainbow. It was truly a present from God.

Where have ten years gone...well, he was learning to talk & walk, learning to love bluegrass music, riding his Papa's tractor, fighting with his baby sister, starting school, being a farmer in his Kindergarten play, learning to read, add, subtract, and now he is Boy Scout with tons of badges, a swimmer, and most importantly, a Christian.

I am proud to be his mother and hope I can give back to him as much as he has given to me. My sickness limits me in so many ways but I hope it will never keep me from being his mother. I will post more about his birthday celebration at a later date. He hasn't decided what he wants to do.

Happy Birthday Gabriel & Mom. Love you both!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know I was 12 when he was born but I remember it like it was yesterday. - Amy