Thursday, April 10, 2008

Talk about a thick head...

Today I saw the interventional pain doctor, Dr. Datta. I was scheduled to receive nerve block injections for my migraines and fibromyalgia. This involves having seven to eight injections in my skull, neck, and upper back. He did this in March and everything went fine. Well, not today!! He always has a resident that is training with him and today he had a nice, looking resident. :-) Nonetheless, as the cute resident was giving me one of the injections, Dr. Datta was explaining that at times patients get light headed or pass out. As soon as he said this, I started to feel faint.

Sidebar...I am the ONLY person in my immediate family that does not faint at the drop of a hat. I have never fainted in my entire life. Trust me when I say these people will drop like flies for just about anything.

Back to the procedure...I didn't faint but they had me get flat for several minutes and watched me like a hawk. In the skull, he injected lidocaine and the entire back of my head was numb ALL day. I have felt sick at my stomach and faint all day. Let's hope this is just an isolated event. The injections seem to help the pain for about a week. It changes my pain level, with ten being the worst, from an eight to six for my neck and shoulders.

Hope I didn't make any of you faint reading this. I won't name names, Amy, but some might do just that. ;-) I love you!! Speaking of Amy, she has been interviewing for several different jobs. Please keep her in your prayers and pray that God leads her to the right position. She is a wonderful, young lady and deserves a magnificent job. I guess that was my second sidebar. Oh well. She is worth it.

Please also pray for me. Next month I go for a more in-depth procedure dealing with the nerves in the neck, shoulders, and upper back. It will require anesthesia. It is supposed to help much longer than the nerve blocks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did not faint thank you! I have gotten a lot better over the years. Sorry that it happened to you.
AMY